Are You Worried About Sleepless Nights? Here Are A Number Of Insomnia Facts
Insomnia or insomnolence as it is better known is a badly understood affliction. In fact, you will find that insomnia is both a cause and an effect on its own - and hence, finding the root problem is difficult. There are so many insomnia facts to be had in different books; the insomnia facts collected in this document are meant to tutor the viewer on the outlines of this predicament.
The Insomnia Facts That You Could do with knowing
1. Insomnia or lack of sleep can be of two types, i.e. (i) transient and (ii) intermittent. The former is when one experiences tossing and turning for a period of maximum 2-3 weeks; while the intermittent insomnia is when this gets repeated once in a while. This will mostly be a possible cause of an underlying condition, such as anxiety, depression, drug abuse, etc.
2. Then there is the chronic insomnia - this is when tossing and turning will last for more than 30 consecutive days and your body feels and reacts to the shortfall of sleep.
3. Women over 60 years are more prone to suffer from insomnia than any other category of people. This will be further aggravated if the person was previously suffering from severe anxiety. In A number of cases, insomnia can be induced by medication.
4. The diseases that usually result in insomnia (depending on the health background of the person) are asthma, kidney conditions, narcolepsy, Parkinson' s disease, heart troubles, hypertension, hyper-thyroid, arthritis among others. If you suffer from one or more of the above, then insomnia may become part and parcel of your life.
5. You are said to suffer from insomnia even if you are woken up often during the night; this is because unless you have at least 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep the body can really be troubled by the lack.
6. Are you sleeping on a spring or coil mattress? It used to be a common practice in hospitals for bed-ridden patients: nurses turning the patients every few hours to avoid bed sores. This was caused by the pressure from the coils in the mattress. A traditional mattress uses metal coils or springs, and the energy from your weight pushes back at you from the springs, causing decreased blood flow and pain, and leads to tossing and turning. A pocketed coil is a better solution, but the best solution is a pressure-free mattress, such as an all foam mattress. These mattresses are available in the San Francisco Bay Area at your natural mattress store, Nest Bedding. We carry a full line of memory foam mattresses that are non-toxic and have no toxic chemical fire barrier. We also carry a full line of organic and natural latex mattresses.
Some Insomnia Facts That Will help you
If you are at a loss for what to do when you undergo these insomnia attacks, try using the following insomnia facts as home remedial measures till you get to a doctor, nurse or pharmacist for a proper diagnosis and first aid.
1. When you have a bout of insomnia do not be worried by it. You need to be prepared to try to take it easy hence, you should attempt any such issue that is pleasing to you as well as relaxes you. For example, a good movie on TV (should not be an action movie, or ghost/ horror movies, etc - it should not be anything that brings on any excitement), a book to read, a hot bubble bath, and so on.
2. Several foods and drinks will help you get your sleep back - a hot cup of milk, a hot cup of chamomile tea or green tea, a glass of wine (but not large amounts of alcohol) at room temperature, and so on would be not bad in returning you to sleep.
3. Above all do things that help you to relax. Self hypnosis tapes and CDs usually include an initial section on relaxation and may prove beneficial.